For the latest local information regarding COVID-19, follow us on Facebook and see ourlocal news page

Judge Issues Order Blocking Illinois Semiautomatic Gun Ban

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — A judge has issued a temporary restraining order blocking the new Illinois law banning assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Effingham County Judge Joshua Morrison issued the order Friday after former Republican candidate for attorney general Tom DeVore sued to block the law.

DeVore said he’s representing hundreds of people from dozens of counties who argue the law violates their constitutional rights.

Morrison’s ruling only applies to 850 plaintiffs listed in the lawsuit in Effingham County and four licensed gun dealers.

Gov. JB Pritzker said he was not surprised by Morrison’s ruling and said he remains confident the courts will uphold the constitutionality of the law.

116th District State Representative Dave Severin (R-Benton) says he agrees with an Effingham County judge’s decision on Friday evening granting a temporary restraining order against a recently signed controversial and unconstitutional firearms ban signed into law earlier this month.

“This was the right call. I have said for weeks that this law is unconstitutional, and now a judge has agreed. I understand there will be further court actions in the State of Illinois and that a federal lawsuit is pending. Any time an unconstitutional law like this can be halted, it means citizens’ rights are being protected. I agree with today’s decision and look forward to this firearms ban law being struck down at the Illinois Supreme Court and in the United States Supreme Court.”

House Republican Floor Leader and 117th District State Representative Patrick Windhorst (R-Metropolis) issued a statement agreeing with an Effingham County judge’s decision on Friday afternoon that temporarily halts the implementation of Illinois’ recently signed firearm ban.

“As I have stated from the first introduction of this firearms ban in early December, this sweeping attempt to ban firearms in common use and to force law-abiding citizens to register their weapons with the government in order to exercise their rights is unconstitutional.”

“I strongly support the decision and am encouraged by today’s temporary restraining order entered in Effingham County. We know this case will likely be appealed to the Illinois Supreme Court. This law was also challenged this week in federal court by the Illinois State Rifle Association. I would encourage 2nd Amendment supporters to stay up to date on further court actions.”

118th District State Representative Paul Jacobs (R-Pomona) issued the following statement Friday after an Effingham County judge granted a temporary restraining order against the newly signed firearms ban that took effect earlier this month.

“I am very thankful for today’s decision in Effingham County Court. We should keep fighting all unconstitutional gun grabs like this as hard as possible. I also appreciate everyone that has reached out to my office to express their concerns and displeasure at the signing of this firearms ban. It is indeed unconstitutional. The Democrats promised to see us in court, and today they did, and they lost. I believe our Second Amendment rights will prevail in further court challenges.”

(Information provided by The Associated Press and press releases from State Reps. Severin, Windhorst and Jacobs.)