For the latest local information regarding COVID-19, follow us on Facebook and see ourlocal news page

Friday Fire Destroys Rural Dix Home

DIX – A wood stove or possibly kerosene heaters are being blamed for a Friday afternoon fire that destroyed a rural Dix home.

As Jefferson Fire firefighters arrived at the home on Snap Dragon Lane east of Dix, they found the structure fully involved in flames and starting to collapse.

The homeowner reportedly told firefighters his furnace had gone out and he was heating the home with a wood-burning stove and kerosene heaters.

Firefighters believe the blaze appeared to have started in the living room or kitchen area.  

The homeowner indicated he’d left the home about 20 minutes before the fire was discovered by a passerby.

Firefighters from Kell, Bluford, and Mt. Vernon provided mutual aid at the scene, while Wayne City and Woodlawn firefighters covered the Jefferson Fire Station in the event of another call.