MT. VERNON (WMIX) – Mt. Vernon and Jefferson County residents in need of assistance with their water bill could find help this week.

The Crosswalk Community Action Agency (Crosswalk) will be accepting applications for the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at Mt. Vernon City Hall, located at 1100 Main St. in Mt. Vernon.

Those residents can go to Mt. Vernon City Hall to apply for financial assistance for water bills.

A representative from Crosswalk will be at the Mt. Vernon City Hall Water Billing Department to assist residents with the application process.

The LIHWAP benefit assistance program helps households facing the threat of imminent disconnection, have already been disconnected, or have past due (arrearage) balances over $50 for their water and wastewater services combined.

Eligibility for LIHWAP services can vary depending on income, water system participation, place of residence, and other factors.

LIHWAP provides one-time payments to low-income households that are eligible for assistance.

The size of a benefit can vary depending on the past-due balance of the household’s residential water and wastewater bills.

LIHWAP funds are issued and administered by the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which also federally administers the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). LIHWAP closely models LIHEAP, utilizing the existing Community Action Network in addition to the current LIHEAP policies, processes, and procedures.

Mt. Vernon City Manager Mary Ellen Bechtel says the City has a great partnership with Crosswalk and is happy to have them in Mt. Vernon. She says this really makes it easier for residents of Mt. Vernon and Jefferson County to apply for assistance with their water bills.