For the latest local information regarding COVID-19, follow us on Facebook and see ourlocal news page

Homeless Woman Caught in Mt. Vernon Vacant Home Fire

MT. VERNON – A 40-year-old homeless Mt. Vernon woman was treated for minor smoke inhalation Tuesday morning after a vacant home she was staying in caught fire.

According to the Mt. Vernon Fire Department, the woman was burning clothing to keep warm, but the fire spread to the home in the 500 block of Grand Avenue.

The structure had been scheduled for demolition and was heavily damaged by the fire.

The fire department called the Red Cross to assist the fire victim.